Pilsen is also the seat of the Municipality with Extended Competence and Municipality with Commissioned Local Authority.
First records about Pilsen was found around 9th century, where Pilsen as a castle in 976 was mentioned. Pilsen was named a town in 1295. After that Pilsen quickly became an important town on trade routes leading to Nuremberg and Regensburg or Sachen in the 14th century. It was the third-largest town in Bohemia after Prague and Kutná Hora.
In 1468, the town acquired a printing press; the Troyan Chronicle, the first book published in Bohemia, was printed there.
A new period of growth came as late as the 19th century with rising Industrial Revolution. The world-known Prazdroj brewery, was founded in 1848. Then engineering Skoda Works were founded in 1859. In the end of 19th century Pilsen's Grand Theatre and the West Bohemian Museum were built.
A great memorial in American square in Pilsen was dedicated to the American army, which liberated Pilsen from the Nazi occupation on May 6th 1945.
Last update: 2011-07-10