enesitfrderu

Font size: A A A A

Icon shopcart

Prague apartments

Luxury apartments for rent from 80 €/night

arrow

Currency rates (CZK)

Trains

Buses

Transfers

Excursions

Hotels

Prague Guide

Prague Transport

Czech towns

Czech castles

Czech spas

Special Events

Czech spas :: Poděbrady

Poděbrady

podebrady2

Poděbrady Castle

History of the town

Poděbrady is a historical spa town in the Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic. It lies on the river Elbe just 50 km east of Prague (30 minutes by a car – Highway D11).

In the latter half of the 13th century Poděbrady fell into the hands of King Přemysl Otakar II. In the years 1262 to 1268 this king built a stone water castle on the site of an older fortified seat in a strategic position on the river Elbe. Poděbrady changed into a tributatory town, which was, however, often the object of the interest of Czech rulers. Apart from other things the reason for this lay in the attractive possibilities of hinting in the local meadow forests, enhanced by the small distance of the hunting-grounds from Prague. The ranks of the rulers who visited Poděbrady included King Přemysl Otakar II. it is said that he was born at nearby Městec Králové, was traveling to Prague. Poděbrady also visited King Václav II and John of Luxembourg.

In the first half of the 17th century, during the Thirty Years' War, the town (similarly as the region as a whole) fell victim to attacks by Swedish and Saxon troops, accompanied by fires. However, the greatest fire hit Poděbrady in 1681, when the Town Hall and the greater part of the still wooden houses were razed to the ground. After these events an order was issued to the effect that masonry-built houses were to be erected in the square under the threat of the loss of the brewing right in the case of failure to adhere to this decree.

Poděbrady town is ideal for recreation and outdoor sports. A historic milestone in the life of the town was the year 1905, when it was visited by the German estate owner Prince von Bülow. This well-known water diviner found in the inner courtyard signs of a strong spring, which was later really bored to a depth of 97,6 meters. The discovery of carbonic mineral water resulted in the opening of the first spa season already in 1908. After World War I Poděbrady rapidly changed into a spa town which from 1926 specialized in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, gaining famous also abroad.

The healing springs in Poděbrady help to treat disorders of the circulatory system, metabolic and endocrine gland disorders and disorders of the musculoskeletal system.


Poděbrady – related links

Transfers between Prague and Poděbrady

Map of Poděbrady spa

Services in Poděbrady spa

Comments

Post question / comment

Last update: 2015-10-06