Hluboká nad Vltavou is a town in the South Bohemia near České Budějovice. This town was a favourite place of Roman emperor Charles IV, who often visited this castle when residing in České Budějovice. Now, Hluboká is more known for the famous castle rebuilt in Windsor style, surrounded by a huge English park (1.9 km²).
But back to the history. Přemysl Otakar II. founded the royal castle in the 13th century. Then the Hluboká castle was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century by the Lords of Hradec. The present appearance came from the era of Count Jan Adam of Schwarzenberg. The last owner Adolf Schwarzenberg nationalised the chateau Hluboká in 1947. Since that the chateau has been in the administration of the Czech Republic. The castle is now opened to public. There is a winter garden and riding-hall where the Southern Bohemian gallery exhibitions have been exposing.
Last update: 2014-11-08